Monday, May 18, 2015

The Setup

Fifteen years ago, I was eighteen, about a month away from nineteen.  I had just gotten out of the shower to get ready to work at the Shell gas station on the other end of town.  I hadn't even finished getting dressed when my mom knocked on my bedroom door.  I opened the door, and she was holding a large, white envelope, probably about 9" x 12".  Emblazoned across the center was my full name: JOSEPH DANIEL SIMPER.  I never use my full name.  In fact, I sometimes forget that my first name is actually Joseph.  In the upper left corner, printed on the envelope: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Office of the First Presidency.

I had received a call to serve for two years as a missionary for the Church.  I knew it was coming, since I had had to apply for it, but seeing that envelope still felt surreal.  I took the envelope from my mom, said, "thanks", and made as if to close the door.  An exasperated "Joseph!" elicited a giggle from me, and then I tore it open...

No comments:

Post a Comment