Monday, May 18, 2015

Provo MTC: February 6, 2000

Dear all,

I was going to wait until probably Friday to write you again, but I had an experience today that just can't wait.

We had testimony meeting today.  I didn't get up and bear my own testimony, but most of the elders in my room did.  Every one of expressed a great love for the rest of us in the room.  I didn't know it until then, but, even after only a few days, I love them more than myself.

That got me thinking.  If I can feel this much love for these five men after only having knowing them for five days, how much does the Savior love us?  The sheer enormity of the concept was amazing, but what I felt was even more powerful.

I have been crying for the past hour.  The Spirit of the Lord has undoubtedly wrapped itself around me and won't let me go.  And I don't want it to.  Elder Miller saw me crying and asked what was wrong.  I pointed to a paper I had taped to my closet.  Then, I told him I had never been happier in my life.  On this paper I copied the hymn, "I Stand All Amazed" and John 15:13.  "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man should lay down his life for his friends."

Before I came here to the MTC, I knew in my head that Jesus Christ loves me.  Now, I know it in my heart.  I testify to you that he loves you as well.  He gave his life for you, so that you would be able to live with him again.  I also want you to know that I love each and every one of you as well.

I can't wait to get to Paraguay.  The people there need to hear this message, and I want to be the one who brings it to them.  I want my brothers and sisters to return with me to live with Christ and Heavenly Father for all eternity.  Please share this with everyone you know.

Love,
Joe


I Stand All Amazed

I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me.
Confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me.
I tremble to know that for me he was crucified,
That for me, a sinner, he suffered, he bled and died.

I marvel that he should descend from his throne divine
To rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mine.
That he would extend his great love unto such as I.
Sufficient to own, to redeem and to justify.

I think of his hands pierced and bleeding to pay the my debt.
Such mercy, such love, can I forget?
No, no, I will praise and adore at the mercy seat,
Until at the glorified throne I kneel at his feet.

Oh, it is wonderful that he should care for me
Enough to die for me!
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man should lay down his life for his friends." -- John 15:13


No comments:

Post a Comment