Friday, August 14, 2015

Villa Elisa: May 27, 2000

Simper people,

Yeah, I'm writing early.  We'll move on Monday, and Elder Handy leaves on Thursday, so I took time to write tonight.  This means that this letter will be a bit short because Sunday and Monday will be left out, plus the fact that I didn't get a letter from you this week.

Tuesday was action-packed.  We had zone meeting, which went as usual.  My agenda has three names on it for all day long.  Two of them weren't there and the third told us to go away and not come back.  Oh, well.  It's his immortal soul.  I've done my part.

Wednesday was cool.  I went on splits with the zone leaders again.  This time, I was in their area.  We did a lot of work.  Nineteen charla cortas [tr: short discussions] and five charla [tr: discussion] ones.  Plus, he told me a lot about being a good missionary.  Oh, yeah.  "He" is Elder Osmond.

Thursday.  Um.  We had a charla one with the people who are going to be our new landlords, and that's about all we did.  We had our first correlation meeting with the new mission leader, which went well.  The greenie (that'd be me) had a good idea, too!  The others talked a lot about the investigators and the new members, but I brought up the inactive members.

We didn't get much accomplished Friday either.  We had a good discussion with a lady named Margarita.  She's what I would consider gold.  She needs to get married before she can be baptized, though.  For that, her… uh… guy has to get divorced.  This is a predominately Catholic nation, so it costs the equivalent of $250 to get divorced.  A marriage is only about $20.  Not very nice.  Anyway, we also had a good charla five with Jorgelina  I think she's gold, too.  She just needs to figure out what she wants.

Today was rather pathetic as well.  We walked clear across Villa Elisa, called the landlord to tell him we're moving, and then walked all the way back to our pensión [tr: apartment] to meet with him.  Grr.  We had a good charla four with Juan (the guy whose kidneys don't work).  Elder Handy snuck a charla six in there, too.  Crafty.  We came home early because, as I said earlier, we move Monday, and we need to get stuff ready to go.  So here I am writing a letter home.  ¡Que malo que soy!  (I'm so bad!  (sort of))

With the exception of Wednesday, this was a slow week.  Next Tuesday, I'll learn who my new companion is, and I'll meet him on Thursday.  Maybe things will pick up after that… (not a nice thought, I know)

Anyway, I'm gonna go away and figure something out.  I'm thirsty, so I'll probably go drink some water.  Yeah, definitely water.  Then, I'll do something else.  But before I forget…

Paraguayan Peek: animals.  There aren't really weird animals here.  I've seen three parrots and a monkey and a lot of dogs, cats, horses, cows, etc.  My point today is… um… never mind my point.

Doggys here fall into one of two groups: really nice or really mean.  There's some dogs near my house that aren't nice doggys.  Elder Handy stuck a good sized stick through the fence, and they snapped it in two.  Yikes.

Okay, there's two more groups: really, really sick, or just with fleas.  Really, really sick involves bugs that cause the poor puppies to lose their hair.  Makes 'em look horrid.  The other group, just with fleas, don't look bad but they are dirty-dirty.

I have no clue why, but everybody calls kittys "meechies".  I don't know if it's Guaraní for cat or not, though I don't think it is, but everyone uses it, so I've picked it up.  Meechies are also either really nice or really mean.  Think Smokey and Evil Kitty.

A quick note about… cows!  They are black and white like cows are supposed to be!  Yay!  Those brown cows that live next door to you are ugly.  Nyah.  Cows here are pretty.  They still stink though.  Kinda funny thingy: I've seen baby cows eating grass in the median in the main road of Villa Elisa.  This isn't exactly a modern city.  There's also chickens running everywhere.  I've only hit a few with rocks (but not for lack of trying!).

Okay.  I'm done for sure this time.  I go bye bye now.  Probably gonna go read the Bible.  Don't know just yet.  At any rate, I'm gone!

Love ya!

Joe



No comments:

Post a Comment